The PTO had a very successful year and are looking forward to 2018-2019. We listened to comments from parents and tried a new fundraising avenue which worked very well and did not require children to “sell things door to door”. Therefore, for 2018-2019, we will continue with one fall (Harvest Festival – October 13th) and one spring (Boosterthon – March 27 – April 5) fundraiser. The PTO’s main purpose is to be a liaison between the parents and administration, so we encourage all families to join the PTO by paying their annual dues of $5 per student. A synopsis of what the raised funds from 2017-2018 were used for follows:
- Supplemented the school budget and provided needed items for the teachers and honored all their initial requests
- Increased scholarship awards for the Valedictorian and Salutatorian
- Allotted the following departments $1,000 each to be used to enhance student learning:
- Foreign Language
- Physical Education/Health
- Allotted $8,000 for classroom computers/technology
- Purchased first aid kits for all classrooms
- Fully funded the music and art production so parents were not charged
- Will be funding the upcoming Theatre production in December
- Provided two teacher/administration luncheons during the year with holiday gifts and a year end gift for everyone
- Funded two “back to school” lunches for teachers and administration
- Presented gifts to retiring teachers/administration
- Provided AVA field day shirts for participants
The Harvest Festival is an IWA tradition and a great day of fun and games for everyone who attends. However, with anything worthwhile, comes a lot of hard work and planning! Each class from pre-school to seniors has a part in making this tradition successful and the students and parents involvement is critical. Please mark your calendars for October 13th and join in the celebration.
The Boosterthon pep rally will be on March 27th followed by a week of character building and raising funds. The fun and color runs will be Friday, April 5th, so plan to attend. We need help passing out water, marking laps, cheering, to name a few.
Thursday, September 20th will be Welcome Back to IWA skate night at Smithfield Skate.